The Instructor Development Course (IDC) is split up into two components. The first portion is the Assistant Instructor (AI) program, followed by the Open Water Scuba Instructor program (OWSI). These courses can be taken separately but are normally combined as the IDC followed by an Instructor Examination (IE) where Blue Ocean Dive Resort verifies that you have mastered the knowledge and skills to become an instructor. When you have successfully completed the IDC+IE, you will be certified to teach the world to dive.
WHY BLUE OCEAN?
When choosing where to do your IDC we will be looking at a lot of different things before you make up your mind. Blue Ocean offers you a whole lot more than just a dive centre. What we do besides the minimum is support you and your career for life.
We’ll give you the best and prepare you to be the best!
HERE ARE 16 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE US TO DO YOUR IDC:
- International team
- Job placement assistance worldwide
- 3 different countries for MSDT
- Great quality food included
- Free accommodation with early bird booking
- 16 days for IDC (we actually care about your education)
- Unlimited help and support for a lifetime
- Course Director with 21 years of Experience and Training
- One of Africa’s Most Qualified Course Directors
- World-class diving
- Personal attention, small groups
- Discount on equipment
- Free team teaching
- Africa’s best premier dive resort (Blue Ocean) and dive centre (Geko Divers)
- Located in Pretoria (Geko Divers) & on Aliwal Shoal (Blue Ocean)
- Serious fun
You also need to bring these equipment items for your IDC:
- Pocket mask
- Timing device
- Knife/diver’s tool
- Two surface signalling devices – one audible and one visible
- Medical Examination Form signed by a physician (max. 12 months old)
- Verification of CPR and first aid training (max. 24 months old)
- Certification proof for OW, AOW, Rescue, EFR, DM or equivalent
- Diving logbook with minimum 100 dives signed off
- 2 passport size photographs
**IDC Requirements & Materials often change, so make sure you speak with your Course Director for the latest information.
Bring your own equipment to your IDC or rent it from us. We charge R1500 for the duration of the IDC, and you will get BCD, regulator, wetsuit, mask and fins. If you’re thinking about purchasing your own scuba equipment we can assist you in finding the right set for you. We offer all our IDC students a discount on all equipment.
FREE WITH ALL OUR IDC PACKAGES
Daily lunch buffet and refreshments during our IDC programs. We make sure that you are well taken care of. Free-flow coffee, tea, water and snacks. Daily lunch buffet (tasty South African food) with refreshments.
Other Perks include:
- Free high speed wireless internet access in our facilities 24/7
- Visa assistance program
- Free dive equipment rental (BCD, regulator etc) for international customers
- Airport pickup and drop off option
We also include the following free workshops to our program (if interest is shown):
- Equipment Workshop
- Compressor Workshop
- Résumé Workshop
- Discover Sidemount
- Discover Tec
- Our Unique “Digital Marketing and the Diving Industry” workshop
- Basic Website Development workshop